If you follow me on Twitter, you probably already know the craziness that happened tonight. If you don’t follow me, why not??? Here’s a brief recap of the afternoon and evening’s events….
My husband started an (unwanted) tradition of getting injured every year on his (and Corbin’s) birthday. Last year we thankfully didn’t have any injuries so I though the curse had been broken. Well, that all changed tonight.
Whenever I see the daycare’s number come up on my caller id I get nervous. Usually it’s nothing major, just calling to confirm a schedule or something like that. Tuesday the call was to tell me that Corbin was having an allergic reaction to something and they’d given him Benadryl. When I went to pick him up about half an hour later his whole face was swelled up. Still don’t know what he got in to, but thankfully the Benadryl worked its magic. Today when the name came up again, my heart sank. I wondered what it was today and prayed that it wasn’t anything serious. I was wrong. The Assistant Director and I are friendly (her kids are coming to the party Saturday) and I could hear in her voice that things weren’t ok. She explained that Corbin and another child were playing on the playground and Corbin got hit in the head with a swing. That was followed by “I’m not sure if it needs stitches or not” so I quickly grabbed my stuff and headed that way (so thankful to have that flexibility with my job). I got to daycare and the boy who’d accidentally hit him with the swing was crying more than Corbin and was truly sorry for the accident that happened.
I took the boys back to my office (I work in a fire station with EMTs and Paramedics) to see if they thought it needed stitches. There were mixed reviews so I took him back to the doctor (two doors down from daycare but all the way back to the other side of town….) and waited for someone to see Corbin. Corbin was a champ getting weighed (he’s 59 pounds already…holy cats!) but didn’t do so well with the thermometer. He couldn’t seem to keep it under his tongue. His spirits were good though – he was talking with the nurse about what had happened and made it clear that he wanted “no one to touch the cut”. We tried to explain that the doctor would touch it without telling him what else might happen (I was trying to delay a freak out from him as long as possible).
The doctor finally came in, cleaned up the cut and the mini freak out began because the doctor was pulling on it a bit to see how deep it really was. Corbin was not a fan of this (I don’t know anyone who would be honestly…) and then it happened…the doctor told him he was just going to glue his head back together. At first, Corbin looked a little confused about how that was going to work. Hubby asked how we would keep the glue and cut dry for the pool party on Saturday to which the doctor replied “no pool! Absolutely no water at all”. That’s when the slightly bigger freak out began. Corbin couldn’t not be in the pool at his own party. He tried to explain to the doctor that there was a “small part” (shallow end) of the pool that he could go in and his head wouldn’t get wet but the doctor wasn’t hearing it. The only other solution was to do stitches. Hubby and I left the choice to Corbin and explained that he would have to get shots if he picked stitches. Without much of a delay at all, Corbin picked stitches so he could go in the pool.
By this time Carter was practically climbing the walls (he’d already investigated all the cupboards, lights, trash cans and everything else in his reach) so he and I ran across the street to Target to pick up some snacks and juice boxes. While at the check out, I got a text that the doctor was ready to do the stitches so we headed back over just in time to see Corbin get sewn up. The doctor had given Corbin two Oreos from his lunch to try and calm him down. Hubby said he’d never heard a person scream like Corbin when he got the numbing shots (I’m kind of happy I missed that part honestly) but he did pretty well during the actual stitches.
With his head sewn up, we finally headed home for the night (hubby brought the boys home ice cream from Sonic as a treat for behaving). The Assistant Director had called to check on Corbin as well as the Director/Owner which was nice. All his classmates were all saying a prayer for him when I came to get him which I thought was sweet.
So much for the nice night I had planned of getting the house cleaned up, baking cakes, making birthday treats for school and everything else….cakes are in the over now and birthday treats are made but not nearly as cute as I’d like. Corbin’s sleeping now and I’m sure he’ll be fine. He’s a pretty tough kid. I am so thankful for all the concerned tweets and texts I got tonight. It says a lot about the people I know and let into my life. My family is lucky enough to have some really great people surrounding us with love and support. Thank you so much for your prayers, hugs and concern for my baby. I can’t tell you how much it means!